Monday, May 18, 2015

A letter from Jen: Buffalo CarShare's Communications Director

Before I started working for Buffalo CarShare in September 2013, I had no idea that it was possible to live without a personal vehicle. I also didn't realize how many of my financial struggles were due to the burdens of owning, maintaining, and constantly repairing my 2004 Pontiac Sunfire.

"Pamela" has seen better days, she helped get me through high school, college, and grad school

After searching for an appropriate position for nearly two years after finishing grad school, I fell on hard financial times and moved back in with my mother in Cheektowaga. At that time my car was beat up, it wasn't going to last much longer, and I could not afford to buy a new one. It was then I decided to take my car off the road. Ever since making that life altering decision, I have been able to move back into my own apartment and live completely independently. Buffalo CarShare means freedom from the burdens of car ownership. Buffalo CarShare means I can finally live the way I want to, with minimal transportation expenses, in a world that has always told me that owning a car means success. Now, I am ecstatic to be part of a community that focuses on creative solutions to transportation, helping people that don't have the option of buying their own car.

Officially taking my car off the road and turning in my license plates at the DMV: one of the best feelings I have ever experienced

I bike, walk, and take the bus almost everywhere I go. Most of my Buffalo CarShare trips are to the grocery store, doctor’s appointments, and to visit friends and family in the suburbs. I can tell you that this is what most of our members use the service for. If it doesn't seem to you that a service that helps people get food, medical attention, and see the people they love isn't life altering, I assure you, you are completely wrong. I have saved thousands of dollars in less than one year, and I have been the happiest I have ever been--all because I have access to cars when I need it, and only when I need it.

My new "car" - If weather permits, this is my main form of transportation. Over the winter I relied mostly on the bus, CarShare, my own two feet, and my wonderful boyfriend and his Subaru.

If Buffalo CarShare closes, I may be forced to buy a car, which is a sentiment that can be shared with most, if not all of our members. Our entire team at Buffalo CarShare lives the same way, we don't have our own cars and we love it. We are so happy to help our members live the same full and satisfying lives we do.

Mike, Xav, and I posing with our new truck that we received through an anonymous donation. We were thrilled last year when we could finally provide a truck again to all of our individual and non-profit members who need it!

This organization means so much more to us than a job. We have all been on an emotional roller coaster since this insurance crisis came to a head. We pour our hearts and souls into this organization daily. Our members know us by name and we know them too. The stories they tell us about why they came to use Buffalo CarShare inspire us to grow and expand not only in Buffalo, but in other cities where our service could help.

Buffalo CarShare has helped people get out of homelessness, find employment, be independent for the first time in their lives, get through college or grad school, start and grow a business, take care of sick and aging family members, and the list goes on and on.

We exist to serve the 30% of Buffalo’s population that live without a car. We exist for the people in Buffalo living at or near poverty, working to better their lives. We exist for entrepreneurs, students, environmentalists, people from around the country and around the world that are living in Buffalo temporarily. We exist to help Buffalo’s non-profit organizations further their missions. We exist for anyone who needs us. We are angry and heartbroken at what currently threatens our organization. Closing Buffalo CarShare would be a huge step backward for this wonderful city. Closing Buffalo CarShare would leave thousands of people stranded.

We will not give up, we will fight and work hard to find a solution. Please refer to our previous blog posts, Buffalo CarShare possibly ceasing operations. Urgent action needed!Outdated NY State Insurance Law Puts Buffalo CarShare at Risk of Closure, for an explanation detailing our insurance crisis and ways you can help. This blog post will be the first of many stories about our members and how our organization changes lives in Buffalo. I'll be posting stories daily, and I urge anyone who has ever used Buffalo CarShare to share your story with me at jen@buffalocarshare.org. Send me as many stories as you want. Be open and honest. Let's prove that Buffalo CarShare is an invaluable asset to this city and our people and deserves a solution. As of right now CarShare exists only until June 15th. We have 28 days left. Rally with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment